CVs & Resumes  Career Change Advice  Interviews  Job Hunting  Articles  Outplacement Consultancy  About Us

Tel UK: 0871 218 1005
Tel Spain: 00 34 965 771 175
email us   click to email us now

Principal Consultant is a Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development



Career Advice


From time to time we receive letters from people with work problems.

The following are typical of the issues we have encountered and advised on



My job is so pressurised I don´t think that I can cope for much longer - what can I do?

I have worked with this company for eight years and at first I welcomed additional responsibilities as I was quite ambitious.  The problem is my job has now grown out of all proportion and even if I work from 8 am to 7 pm at the end of the day I have more in the pending pile than I started with! 

This is beginning to get me down and I feel my health and personal life is beginning to suffer as I am totally exhaused by the time I get home.  The trouble is my partner is losing patience with how I feel and simply says I should change jobs - which I don´t really want to do as I am well paid and like my colleagues


Career Expert says . . .

Continuous pressure can be a driving force, but if you feel the experience of pressure is becoming too much you are bound to feel stressed

As the cause of your stress appears to be work-related, you should talk with your manager or HR department as the organisation has a duty of care towards you, and it is in their interests to take whatever steps are necessary to resolve the problem; for instance, they might consider reducing your workload or providing you with supportive resources

You might also consider reviewing your lifestyle to see if you can spot any contributing factors, such as . . .

  • rushing, hurry, beng available to see everone
  • trying to do several jobs at once
  • taking work home with you
  • not allowing time for exercise, relaxtion and social activities

If your stress is not lessened, you may need to consider changing to a less pressurised work environment and you might also benefit from a discussion with your GP.

Back to Top



Back to Top


I don't like my job but can't afford to change  to the

job I would love?


My job is in marketing and at 30 years it pays really well. But I have become increasingly disenchanted with my role and feel something is missing.  I realise now that I should have done a degree in social work as I would like a more fulfilling role, but to change career track now would involve retraining and that would mean my partner taking over all the living expenses when he himself is in a job he dislikes.

So, should I stay in a well paid job and forego my real interests, but be unhappy for the rest of my working life, or ask my partner to struggle for a while for the sake of our long term future?  It is really down to money in the end, isn't it?

Career Expert says . . .

It is not unusual for people reaching key milesstones in their lives - in your case reaching thirty - to pause and reflect on their lifestyles.  If dissatisfaction with career paths becomes apparent, this is very often the result of young people jumping straight out of college or university into the first job that comes along.  If the pay is good it is easy to understand why people often remain in the wrong career, become financially committed and reluctant to leave their comfort zone.

But money is not necessarily the driving factor for every person at every time of life.  As in your case, as the years go people often find that they need something more than financial rewards to generate happiness. 

The decision to change career at this stage in your life is one that can only be made by discussing how you feel with your partner - but I am all in favour and feel it is very important for people to pursue the career that matches their aspirations, values and skill-sets.

For those people who feel caught up in the wrong career, please follow this link to learn how to change jobs and find the perfect career.


Back to Top

My boss is ruining my life! 


What can I do to stop my boss from making my life an absolute misery?

I joined the company six months ago and within a few days began to receive bullying emails criticising my performance before I had even put anything into action.  In front of my colleagues she also started to belittle me for no reason.

I have discovered that she has an awful reputation within the industry and I am not the first person to have been on the receiving end of her vindictiveness.

Career Expert says . . .

I recommend that you collect as much written evidence of your boss´s communication with you, for example, all the emails you have received and your responses. 

Make a note of any verbal communication, i.e. what was said, the time and dates, together with the names and positions of those people present. 

Request a meeting with your HR Manager and explain what has been happening and exactly how her behaviour is making you feel.  Your HR Manager should arrange for a meeting between you during which hopefully issues can be resolved and a way of working together in the future can be mapped out. If this fails, then the next step would be to log a complaint and implement the company´s grievance procedure if one exists. If not, you can use the statutory grievance procedure (

If the situation is not resolved the next step is to contact a solicitor for expert advice on taking the matter to an industrial tribunal. Alternatively, you could contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau who provide free and impartial advice.


Back to Top

Changing career direction . . .

I have realised after just three months that my marketing degree is in the wrong subject for the role I would like, which is event management.  How can I make the transition between two such different careers. 

I am aware that I do have some transferable skills but it is proving difficult to convince recruitment consultants and I fear that I am stuck.  Could you give me some guidance as to what steps to take?

Career Expert says . . .

You are thinking along the right lines by looking at your transferable skills. You will have gained a number of skills during your degree that are relevant to event management such as communication, presentation, negotiation, organisation, planning, creativity and an ability to think outside the box, work under pressure, work in teams,abd meet targets and deadlines.

When completing an application form, you should look carefully at the job and person specification and highlight how your skill sets match those required by the employer.  Draw on your social interests in terms of activities you may have organised for friends and family - and give examples, for instance, have you organised a holiday, party, or family celebtation?

One way to enter a different area of work is to gain work experience in the new area. Try approaching companies that you would like to work for and ask if you can work on a voluntary basis for a week or two so that you can show employers that you are interested in the career and have some knowledge of what it is like. Try to work shadow people in the kinds of roles that you are thinking of applying for.

Another approach is to start by applying for entry level positions and work your way up.

Back to Top

Fear of Redundancy . . .

I am 63 and worried in case my employers will make me redundant. 

I cannot afford to stop working and am more than capable of carrying on with my job. 

I would like to know if I have the right to continue working where I am - I have been with the company for the past 27 years - but what would my entitlement be if I feel obliged to retire.

Career Expert says . . .

There is no longer an uper age limit for redundancy.  Older workers have the same rights as younger workers to receive a redundancy payment, unless in the case of a genuine retirement.

It had been thought that the regulations would remeove the three age bands for calculating redundancy payments.  However, ministers performed a U-turn on this and are now of the view that the practice of applying different multipliers to different age bands, so as to give greater financial assistance to older workers in redundancy, is justified.

Statutory terms give half a week´s pay for every year of employment under the age of 22, a week´s pay for every year between the ages of 22 and 40, and one and a half week´s pay for every year over the age of 40, subject to an overall maximum of 20 years.  Where an employer offers enhanced redundancy terms, these are permitted so long as they mirror the statutory redundancy pay scheme. 


Back to Top

Leaving the army and entering teaching . . .

I will be leaving the armed forces in 12 months and would like to commence a teaching career.  I have a Post-Compulsory Teaching certificate but if I decide to go into compulsory education what are my chances? 

I currently hold CertEd and will complete an MA Ed (Leadership & Management) in October 2007.  I have no bachelor-level qualifications.   Most educational advice sites seem to be geared around undergraduate and postgraduate.  Would I be able to teach in compulsory education with a Masters and Cert Ed or do I now need to plug a skill deficit in my last 18 months in the army?

Career Expert says . . .

In order to teach in a state maintained school in England and Wales you need to gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).

To gain QTS you must have a grade C or above in GCSE English and Mathematics, or have reached the equivalent standard.  If you were born after 1 September 1979 and wish to teach primary pupils you will also need a GCSE grade C or above in a science subject.  You may be able to take a pre-entry test if you do not have th enecessary GCSEs.

You will also need a degree or equivalent level qualification, either from studies completed before postgraduate teacher training, or gained during an undergraduate teacher training programme such as a BEd.

As you do not hold a degree, the qualifications you hold may help you to accumulate Higher Education credits, sometimes called CAT (Credit Accumulation Transfer) points.  One year of study at Higher Education level is usually worth 120 credits, two years are usually worth 240 credits, and three eyars 360 credits - equivalent to a degree.

I suggest that you contact the institutions where you completed your qualifications and they should be able to tell you how many credits you have accumulated.  Once you have established the number of credits you currently hold, you will need to contact the Training and Development Agency for Schools in order to discuss your training options.

For more information about the various routes and entry requirements for teaching, contact:  Training and Development Agency for Schools 



Back to Top


Back to Top


A Perfect Career is a careers advice website for jobseekers at every level and from all career categories and market sectors.  The site covers: Planning a Career Change CV Writing ∙ Resume Writing  Writing Cover Letters ∙  Sample Cover Lettters  ∙ CV Resume TipsJob ApplicationsApplication Forms ∙ Interview Advice  Sample Interview Questions ∙  Interview TipsUK Outplacement Services ∙  Job Hunting ∙  UK Job Market Trends Careers Surgery and Job Search Links to leading recruitment agencies, executive search agencies, and quality education and training sites in the UK and overseas


Home | Resumes | Career Change Advice | Interview Advice | Job Hunting LinkedIn Profiles

Outplacement Consultancy | Articles | About Us | Order Form / Fees | Terms & Privacy | Site Map |
Copyright © Principal Consultant 1990 - 2013